The Bookstore at Library Square
In 2001, CALS renovated the Cox Building, originally a warehouse for Thomas Cox and Sons Machinery Company. Part of the Main Library campus, the building serves as the home of River Market Books & Gifts and Bookends Café. The building has two meeting rooms and is the site of special library and FOCAL events.
Constructed in 1906, the building featured one of the earliest drum-type traction hoisting machines manufactured. The hoisting machine (elevator) was operational until its removal in 2001. Sculptural remnants are displayed near the west patio dining area.
A Thousand Words Gallery
Some of the Central Arkansas Library System's staff are talented artists and CALS hosts their work in the staff gallery. The gallery grew out of an art show beginning in 1998. The opportunity to show and sell art is open to all CALS staff.